When I was diagnosed with cancer, one of the first things I did was order a juicer. It was the best 99 dollars I have spent in a long time! I had read Kris Karr’s “Crazy, Sexy Cancer Life” and knew she was keeping her tumors “quiet” for over 7 years using only nutritional methods. The main practice that she swears by for her continued health is juicing her greens. Juicing is also the main practice of the Gerson Therapy for cancer, and there are several blogs out there that I love that tell of survivors experience with this.
I drank green, beet and carrot juices all though my treatment and after when healing from surgeries. I stayed healthy throughout my entire treatment (except for a weird ear infection from a small cut when chemo had my cell count low) and honestly felt like my immune system was stronger than ever during treatment. The only time I felt sick and weak was the first week of all 4 cycles of chemo, and that was to be expected. My doctors commented on how quickly my incisions healed, and I think what I put into my body nutritionally had a lot to do with it!
The last 3 months I have not been as regular with juicing, and I miss it. It is an amazing way to start the day, and I definitely notice a difference in my energy level and my complexion/skin. When I juiced regularly, I had a healthy glow about me. People commented on it all the time. I have been pretty regular with my green smoothies, but alternating them with fresh veggie juice is definitely the way to go.
1. By removing the fiber through the process of squeezing the pulp, we instantly lighten the load on our digestion. Nutrients pass directly into the bloodstream, and within minutes our bodies receive optimum fuel to feed our cells and help restore our immune systems. —Kris Carr
2. Fresh juice provides vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates, essential fatty acids, proteins, phytonutrients, antioxidants and so much more!
3. You will have increased energy. This is one of the main motivations. I love how energized I feel when I juice!
4. Much of the goodness of fruit is locked in the fiber which is expelled from the body. When we juice the fruits and vegetables, their goodness is released from the fiber and we are able to drink their highly concentrated nutrients which are then able to enter our bloodstream very quickly. —Living and Raw Foods
5. The large amounts of concentrated nutrients one receives from juicing could never be eaten in one sitting. Imagine trying to make a smoothie out of the same amount of veggies used to make 16 oz of juice. You could never drink that much.
6. Drinking fresh juice guarantees you are receiving many of the nutrients you need. Bottled juices on the market have lost most of their nutritional value. Make sure you drink your freshly pressed juice right away, as nutrient loss happens fairly quickly.
7. It is a great way to use up fruits and vegetables that would otherwise go to waste. I have felt so much better about my lack of food waste now that I have a juicer. Fruits and veggies that are almost past their prime are perfect for juicing.
8. No matter how we try, man cannot replicate the amazing goodness that is in food that God through nature has provided for us. A supplement is necessary at times, but nothing can compare or compete with what nature can give through real food.
9. It increases alkalinity. It is said that diseases cannot thrive in an alkaline state. Fresh green juice is detoxifying and contains loads of chlorophyll. “Chlorophyll contains a powerful blood builder that’s said to increase red blood cells, improve circulation, ease inflammation, oxygenate the body, and counteract harmful free radicals. By eating (and drinking) a diet high in chlorophyll (raw fruits and veggies, especially leafy greens), we dine on liquid oxygen, the very substance we need to stay alive and thrive. —Kris Karr “Crazy Sexy Cancer Life”
Did you know there are a bazillion juice recipes out there? One of my fav–2 apples and 2 handfuls of fresh cranberries. Homemade Cran-Apple juice is AMAZING!