Call this Hashbrowns, Spinach & Tomato a pie, a quiche, or omelette–whatever you call it, call it good!
I love taking traditional meals like this one and figuring out how to make them smarter, with the right ingredients at the right price!
DO IT SMARTER
There are several things I do that makes shopping, menu planning and dinner -making smarter.
First, I look for recipes that I can revamp with ingredients that are better for my family. I use organic whenever possible, especially when it comes to dairy, and look for ways to swap ingredients for smarter ingredients.
For example, in this Hashbrowns, Spinach & Tomato Pie recipe, I use shredded potatoes instead of pie crust, vegetables instead of bacon or ham, and olive oil instead of vegetable oil.
Another thing I like to do is use ingredients that I know will last throughout the week. Organic eggs are a great thing to buy and use all throughout the week. I buy 2 cartons and hard boil one whole carton for snacks and to top salads.
I also buy a large bag of Hashbrown potatoes most weeks, as they are great in breakfast recipes and also as a quick side dish to many other non-breakfast recipes. I make sure the brand I buy is just plain old shredded potatoes, with no additives or extra oils or salt added.
A bag of shredded cheese is another ingredient I buy at the beginning of the week and make sure it stretches all week. If we have tacos, we do not load on the cheese like we used to…just a sprinkling will do. If I make a casserole, most call for 2-3 cups of cheese which is usually not necessary. I use half that amount and it rarely makes a difference except for fewer calories & more my pocket-book! I will say, it the cheese is organic like the Horizon Organic Shredded Mozzarella cheese that I used in this recipe, I am more likely to pile it on!
The last thing I do that is pretty smart is make one day a week a ‘breakfast for dinner” day. Breakfast food is so easy to make, and recipes like this one that has eggs and organic dairy & veggies can be a healthy & hearty meal.
HASHBROWN, SPINACH & TOMATO PIE RECIPE
Let’s talk about this recipe. It was a snap to throw together and was super flavorful. The colors in it are so pretty & the browning of the hash brown crust just adds to the beauty of the dish. Organic Horizon Whole Milk adds extra creaminess to the egg filling. It is really a great dish with lots of texture.
We had this for dinner last night and I really enjoyed it. It will be a recipe I make often, in fact, I am making a version of it as I type for my girls for breakfast, with no garlic or veggies. They just wanted plain for breakfast, just plain hash browns, cheese and eggs. It smells great as it is baking right now and is making me hungry!
Feel free to use whatever veggies you want. I think sliced zucchini squash or roasted asparagus would be great!
Hashbrowns, Spinach & Tomato Pie
2 cups shredded hash brown potatoes (I used frozen, straight from the bag)
1 cup Horizon Organic Shredded Mozzarella Cheese, divided
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 cups packed fresh spinach
1 garlic clove
1 cup grape tomatoes
1/4 cup Horizon Organic Whole Milk
pinch of nutmeg
Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Spray or grease a 9 inch pie plate; put the shredded hash brown potatoes into the pie plate. Drizzle with 1 Tablespoon olive oil. Toss to coat. Press down into pie plate and push them up the sides of the plate a bit.
- Bake for 8 minutes; remove from oven & top with 1/2 cup Horizon Organic Mozzarella Cheese & set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet
- Add spinach and tomatoes; cook for 3 minute sort until spinach is wilted, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic & continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and spread over potatoes.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, Horizon Organic Whole Milk, nutmeg, salt and pepper until thoroughly combined.
- Pour over spinach & tomatoes.
- Sprinkle the remaining shredded cheese over the pie
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until top is golden brown.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before cutting.
- Cut & Serve.
Would you like to know more about Horizon Organic products? You can follow them at these places:
This conversation is sponsored by Horizon. The opinions and text are all mine.