Why Dry Brush
1. It softens the skin.
I remember taking a facial class (I’m a cosmetologist), where the instructor had been an esthetician for 15 years. She told us about dry brushing and had us each come up and feel the skin on her arm. She was in her 50’s, but her skin was as soft as a babies butt! I was amazed. She gave all the credit to dry brushing daily.
2. It is a simplistic, inexpensive approach to healthier skin
I love that you can gain great results without expensive potions and treatments.
3. It stimulates the lymphatic system.
After my cancer treatment, I saw a physical therapist who did lymphatic drainage massage on me to help prevent lymphedema. I was intrigued by how gently she massaged, sweeping soft strokes across my skin, all towards the heart. This was my first experience with lymphatic massage and I was always amazed at how I needed to immediately use the restroom after lymphatic drainage massage. My therapist said that was a great indication that she had done her job, stimulating lymph fluid to be released. She suggested I dry brush at home, in the same manner, to continue to keep my lymph canals to drain properly, which is detoxifying to the body.
4. It helps with ingrown hairs.
No more razor burn bumps or ingrown hair bumps. The combination of dry brushing and shaving with a good, natural soap was the answer for me.
5. It sloughs off dead skin.
I used to struggle with small bumps on the back of my arms and on my legs. Not anymore. Dry brushing and again, using a natural soap from my local health food store did the trick. Makes me happy!
6. It feels good!
It is amazing how good it feels to dry brush skin. Especially if you have itchy, dry skin. It is great early in the morning right before my shower..it helps wake me up!
How To Dry Brush:
1. Purchase a natural bristle brush. Not synthetic. Ideally with a long handle.
2. Perform dry brushing before your shower while dry and naked (or nudie, as my girls say)
3. Work in long, upward strokes toward the heart.
4. Use whatever pressure is most comfortable for you.
5. Avoid sensitive areas and anywhere the skin is broken
6. After dry brushing your skin, rinse off in the shower.