Avocados are a pretty popular fruit (yes, they are a fruit!) here in our household, but most of the recipes I use them in, my kids don’t even know they are there!
I make my Avocado Green Smoothie Popsicles almost weekly, they have such a great, fruity, creamy lusciousness to them. Avocado’s are great for creating a smooth creaminess in many recipes, and are full of health benefits that are essential for child development and growth. Another recipe that my kids love is Chocolate-Avocado Mousse with Raspberries! This is a super rich, healthy and easy recipe to make.
Chocolate-Avocado Mousse with Raspberries
1. Halve and pit the avocados and scoop out the flesh. Transfer the avocado flesh to the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Using a spoon, break up the avocado a little in the food processor.
2. Add the cocoa powder, agave nectar (or honey), vanilla extract, and almost extract to the processor and process for 1-2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and then process again until the mousse is very smooth, 1-2 minutes longer.
3. Taste the mousse and if not sweet enough, add more nectar, 1 teaspoon at a time. Pulse to mix.
4. Spoon the mousse into serving vessels (martini glasses are pretty!) and cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 8 hours.
5. Serve the mousse chilled and garnished with raspberries.
**Drizzle in more or less agave or honey, depending on your tastes.
Avocados have potassium, folate, fiber, Vitamin C, E and B-complex vitamins that support memory and brain function, which make them a great choice for both kids and adults. You get all this in the above recipe, and your chocolate fix, too! You would never have guessed that avocados were used to thicken the mousse and that it would make it so creamy and delicious! This mouse is vegan, and is super healthful: no eggs, no dairy, and no refined sugars. Cocoa powder and raspberries both have antioxidants in them. Just one ounce of dark chocolate packs as many antioxidants as a glass of red wine. Buy natural cocoa powder with a minimum of 70% cocoa. Avoid anything that says “dutch processed” or “processed with alkali” in order to keep the good flavonoids found in chocolate.
This mousse takes just minutes to prepare. No cooking or baking!
I serve this to my kids smeared on graham crackers. They think it is frosting!:)
I recently heard of a fun way to help kids fall in love with avocados. It is a contest called “The Avocado’s From Mexico Mini Chef Video Contest!”